4/19/09

Interview with Donna Fleisher

I saw the cover for Wounded Healer a couple of years ago. I wrote the author down as one to check out and put the book on my Christmas list. Bless my mother-in-law, she bought it for me. Since then my first novel has been critiqued by Donna, and she has become a great friend and mentor. I love this lady! And her books—love them, too. But anyway. Enough of my yakking. Let me tell introduce you to Donna Fleisher.

JW: Before we get into your whole writing career and life story, I have a question of utmost important to ask you. Who is your favorite—Hoops or Yoyo?

DF: I don’t even know which is which, but I don’t think the one would be near as funny without the other. They seem to feed off each other. Actually, I think Hoops is the more dominant one. Which probably means I like Yoyo better.

JW: Rooting for the underdog, eh? That sounds like you. Next question is the standard one. How did you get into writing? Did you always want to be a writer, or did it just kind of come like a little light bulb on that brilliant head of yours? (If I flatter you enough, do I get a free book? LOL)

DF: I’ll think about the free book, but you gotta do better than that. I didn’t always want to be a writer. I never even considered writing until 1996. Suddenly I realized a few things: First, I needed to read. Second, no novel out there would satisfy my unbelievably picky, pathetically narrow, absurdly demanding taste. Third, if I wanted to read a novel that would satisfy my taste, I needed to write it. Fourth, if I didn’t write it, I’d burst. Fifth, what bad thing would happen if I gave it a try? I mean, would the sky fall? Would the ocean dry up and blow away? Would life as the world knew it grind to a halt just because this bored aired-out little Christian girl living by the beach wanted to write a novel? This was my main thought: It’ll be fun!!!! Oh, man, I had no idea.

JW: How do you get ideas for your stories?

DF: Ideas? Did you just bring up the dirty word? Like “goals” and “plans” and “organization” and “prioritizing” etc. Actually, the ideas for Homeland Heroes pretty much arrived on my doorstep in a big box wrapped with a bright red bow.

JW: Tell me about your writing routine and writing space. I write on my couch with my laptop, usually wrapped in a blanket and wearing fuzzy slippers since my hubby turns the AC way too low.

DF: Fuzzy slippers, wrapped in a warm blanket actually sounds pretty nice. I don’t have AC, so I usually have to kick off my fuzzy pink slippers after awhile. But I do definitely recline in my trusty Lazy-Boy, prop my Lapworks-protected laptop on my lap, and have at it. Why, just the other day while I was updating my website, I sat in that same recliner working working working away for almost thirteen hours. Getting up to eat and avail myself of the facilities from time to time, of course. All in all, I practically live in my recliner, which is okay, since it looks out over the crashing waves of the Pacific. (And, by the way, “routine” is another dirty word. Me? Having a writing routine? Are you kidding??)

JW: Oh, good. Another non-routine type person. I knew we had a lot in common. Okay, I have a favorites question for you. From your Homeland Heroes Series, which one—Chris or Erin?

DF: Oooo, I hate being asked this question, cuz as I’m answering it, they always show up to hear what I’ve got to say. If I say Chris, Erin gives me a super-duper hairy eyeball.

JW: (Translating: Hairy eyeball is an evil eye, just in case you were wondering. Took me a while to figure that one out.)

DF: If I say Erin, Chris only nods as if she thinks it’s true.

JW: (Interrupting again. Just so you know, I believe they really do this. Chris and Erin talk to Donna, and Donna even went into a baby store to buy a shower gift for Erin’s firstborn. Sad, huh? Oh, wait…I do that kind of stuff, too.)

DF: Truth is, Chris. By far. Cuz she’s the life of the story. But, no, Erin, cuz she’s the reason Chris is alive through Christ’s love once more. No, Chris, cuz without her, I never would have survived this entire adventure since April 2004. No, Erin, cuz without her keeping Chris centered and still since April 2004, Chris would not have been able to help me as much as she has. Can’t I say both? They seem to like that answer.

JW: Fine. Be difficult if you must. Tell me about the latest project you’re working on.

DF: The latest project I’ve just completed is actually a six-hour course on either CD or cassette on “Bringing Fiction to Life: On writing powerful Christian fiction.” I’m so jazzed about it.

JW: That’s awesome! I learned so much from you. Looks like a great way for aspiring writers to learn more. But before everyone hops over to your website to buy it, I have another question. More favorites: food, hobby, book, verse, whatever.

DF: Ahh, my faves. Let’s see. Food? Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and Skippers. And whatever my brother is grilling at the time. Hobby? Beachcombing, especially for sand dollars. Author? Camy Tang. Susie Larson. See? Susie writes non-fiction. So I’m not totally helpless. Book? Okay, I’m helpless. I don’t read enough to have a favorite.

JW: (Interrupting to say she’d have a favorite if my book was out. LOL. Okay, maybe not. But you never know.)

DF: Favorite person to get an e-mail from? Jenness!!! No kidding. I love your e-mails. Can’t wait for the world to read your stuff.

JW: Aw…you’re too sweet. You don’t even have to give me a free book anymore!

DF: Back to my faves, there was one book that was my favorite when I was growing up: the Sears Christmas Wishbook.

JW: Ha! Me, too!

DF: My favorite place to be? Heceta Head Lighthouse, ten miles north of Florence, Oregon. The place I wanna be most? Heaven. Bring it on, Lord Jesus. Soon. Please?

JW: Think there will be a Taco Bell up there? Oh, never mind. Here’s my last question: Give us some random advice. Writing-related and otherwise.

DF: Bits of random advice. Hmm. Writing related: As you’re typing, make sure the Insert button hasn’t been pushed. In other words, try not to delete what you’ve previously written with every keystroke of new material you’re typing in. Hey, been there, done that. And it ain’t pretty. Not writing related: Take time for a walk on the beach. Let the sand squish up between your toes. Breathe deep of the lush, fresh, ocean breezes. And that’s it for now.

JW: Thanks, Donna, for agreeing to be my guinea pig. Thanks for the interview!

DF: Thanks, Jenness!! You’re definitely one of my faves. : )

JW: To learn more about Donna or to contact her, check out her website at www.donnafleisher.com. She is the author of the Homeland Heroes series: Wounded Healer, Warrior’s Heart, Valiant Hope, and Standing Strong.

(Originally posted 7-14-07)

No comments: