8/5/10

Confession Session



I'm a fairly good speller (wait--did I spell that right?), but there are some things I struggle with. I read old novels growing up. I mean, seriously old. As in, one of my favorites was a best-seller in 1900. So I sometimes struggle with spelling, as those books tended to use British spelling. Like "colour." "Savior" still doesn't look right to me without the u. I didn't learn how to spell "practice" until 10th grade, when a math teacher wrote an assignment on the board. I had spelled it "practise" up till then.

I also never remember whether potato and tomato have e's, especially if you make them plural. And the city I was born in? I think I finally figured it out, but until recently, I had to google the spelling.

Your turn. What word can you never spell right?

2 comments:

Ava Pennington said...

I have to fight the urge to put an "e" on the end of develop, and I usually try to insert an "e" into judgment (judgement) until spell-check's squiggly red line reminds me that I did it again!
And I agree about Savior - somehow it looks better with a "u"!

JM Palacios said...

Yay! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who endeavours to spell correctly. They got me to conform, but I still don't like it. Nor do I like the red squiggly line underneath my word because it doesn't recognize British style spelling. I blame growing up reading the King James Bible.

Currently reading Psalms in the Geneva Bible. Now that is a rich trove of spelling creativity!