10/29/08

Beloved Old Books

Even with the most beloved grandparents, extended visits can get boring at times. But that was never a problem. In New York, I'd swipe all my relatives' Louis L'Amours. In Virginia, I'd rummage through my grandfather's basement, picking up the old hardcovers to find a something that looked remotely interesting. And I found a few prizes. Thought I'd pass them along, just in case you want a change in your reading. Check them out, if you get the chance!

To Have and To Hold, by Mary Johnston (1900 version) - This is the book I would rewrite if I ever did a historical. Unfortunately, I saw somewhere that someone beat me to it. Regardless, once you get past the 1900 English and the swooning women, the story is amazing. Pirates, bets, mail-order brides who aren't what they say they are, sword fights, panthers, Indians, shipwrecks...This book has it all.

Prisoner of Zenda, by Anthony Hope - The first chapter is hard to get through, but it's a great read from there on. (And a quick one.) More sword fights. A stand-in king. A beautiful princess...

Knights of the Range, by Zane Grey - A great Western. Humor, gunfights (of course), a beautiful ranch owner, and two good men fighting for her heart. Gotta love it.

Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Orczy - A classic. What more can I say?

By Right of Sword, by A.W. Marchmont - Love at first sight and sword fights...I can't remember much past the first scene, but apparently it was good all the way through. If we weren't through with a book by the time our visit was over, my grandfather would let us take it home with us. I finished this one too soon, so I made my brother start reading it, so it could go with us.

There you go. Some of my favorite old books. Try 'em out--they may become yours as well.

No comments: