5/13/10

First Lines 2

Still talking about first lines, here. I looked through my bookshelf and picked out a dozen first lines. You like?

1. The first time it happened, I had pins sticking in my back.
~ from Leaper by Geoffrey Wood

2. It was raining the night he found me.
~from Demon: A Memoir by Tosca Lee

3. The blow came like the torrent below, hard and swift and unexpected.
~ from Freefall by Kristen Heitzmann

4. PJ Sugar had been born to sneak up on people.
~ from Double Trouble by Susan May Warren

5. The past couldn't have picked a worse time to find her.
~ from Flee the Night by Susan May Warren

6. Ten years ago I was a dead man.
~ from Scared by Tom Davis

7. Whistling a tune from Fiddler on the Roof, I used my tweezers to work a piece of Gloria Cunningham's skull out of the sky blue wall.
~ from Hazardous Duty by Christy Barritt

8. My thighs were at it again.
~ from Dreaming in Black and White by Laura Jensen Walker

9. Five months ago I raised Gary and Mary Andrews from the dead.
~ from Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson

10. On Monday, I uncovered a drug ring in South Minneapolis.
~ from Symphony of Secrets by Sharon Hinck

11. Bad hair ruined my life.
~ from She's All That by Kristin Billerbeck

12. Kate O'Malley had been in the dungeon since dawn.
~ from The Negotiator by Dee Henderson

What are some favorites from your shelf?

4 comments:

Holly said...

This was even better than the first list! You've got me wanting to read all of them! (Well, some I already have.) Why don't you just sent them with the inlaws this summer?! ;-) I might even return your Charles Martin...

Lynn H said...

There once was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb...and he almost deserved it. --The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, C.S. Lewis

Lynn H said...

hm. Obviously, I read the second list first.

Catherine West said...

Wow I need to expand my reading list. I am ignoring all these or I'll just get depressed. I usually don't bother much with my first line until I'm done then I go back and try to come up with something amazing. Yeah. That's really working well for me so far...