5/3/10

If I Had To Choose...

A while back I asked for your top 5 favorite books. I refrained from answering, because I just couldn't choose. Still can't, so now I'm changing the question. :-) If I had to choose five (fairly recently published) novels to take with me to a deserted island, I think these are the ones...along with explanations, and in no particular order:

1. Suspicious Minds by Christy Barritt
A light-hearted mystery, the second in the series. I'd take this one along, even though it's short, because it's a fun read. But more than that, because there is no third book in the series, yet. (Which about breaks my heart, by the way.) I want to know which guy the heroine gets, how she decides to give Jesus a try, and what disaster she falls into next. So I could spend much time on the island analyzing the story, remembering the first in the series, and coming up with a choose-your-own-ending type third book.

2. Sons of Thunder by Susan May Warren
A historical romantic suspense set during WWII. Why this one by Susie, of all the millions she has published? Because it's about the only one I haven't read yet. I've been waiting for some uninterrupted time to sit down and devour it. A deserted island may be just the place. Plus I could take along some of the notes from the retreat I attended in February hosted by Susan and Rachel (Hauck), and break down the book to see how she practiced what she preached.

3. Wrapped in Rain by Charles Martin (...that is, if I could find my copy. eh-hmm...)
Contemporary fiction. Because I'd have to have something by Charles Martin, and I haven't read this one in forever. Charles Martin has an amazing way with words--leaves images in your mind that don't leave you for years. Plus he has zany secondary characters and a hint of romance. But mainly just moving stories that are beautifully written.

4. The Restorer by Sharon Hinck
Fantasy. This is a fun story of a soccer mom who gets thrown into a world where she has to carry a sword. It also serves as a reminder about the importance of worship and thinking on things that are pure, etc. Always a good lesson to remember. And...maybe the story give me inspiration to work-out on the island instead of lounging on a hammock. I could swordfight with a palm tree or something.

5. Demon: A Memoir by Tosca Lee
Speculative? Not sure what genre exactly this would go in. It's a book that makes you think. Give you kind of a different perspective on God's love for mankind. I have a feeling I'd have a lot of time to think. This might spark quite a few ideas for journal entries. Plus the author once asked which actors her readers would cast in the different roles in the movie version. Coming up with options might help kill some time. :-)

6. Flabbergasted by Ray Blackston
Contemporary fiction. This is my bonus pick that I just couldn't leave out, because really, if I'm on a deserted island, I'm going to need a beach book. And this one is zany, quotable, and laugh-out-loud funny. If I'm reduced to writing poetry in the sand, this book already has one I can warm up on.

All right. I cheated and did six. I'm quitting now, though, before I think of any more. I might have to do a Desert Island Round 2...

1 comment:

Georgiana Daniels said...

I LOVED Demon, A Memoir. It was one of my favorites the year it came out. When I read it, it made me feel my relationship with God was that much more special, and that I was even more precious in His sight.