5/24/10

Writer Friends

Today I'm going to lunch with a couple of writer friends. We'll eat (probably something chocolate), we'll laugh, and we'll talk about our own little made-up worlds. Probably figure out how to kill somebody off (while scaring any eavesdroppers away), or what the perfect black moment would be (in other words, how to make the heroine's life so wretched, she hits rock bottom and maybe a little lower), or...well, can't give any spoilers now, can we?

And we're going to drive for an hour and a half to do this.

Is it just me, or is there a very unusual bond between writers, especially Christian writers?

I exchange crazy and encouraging phone calls and texts with one writer. We met on a forum, and our writing careers have sort of parelled so far, making us confidantes. We've met in person three times.

I chat online, almost daily, with an amazing critique partner who lives in a different country. We did that before we actually met in person. We're hoping to have a little writing retreat this summer, if I can find the right priced airline ticket.

At two different times, I agreed to be roommates with two lovely writer ladies I'd never met before. Stayed up till 2 or so talking about...well, everything with one of them. Goofed off in the hotel hallway with the other and became a huge fan of her writing.

And there are so many more who have reached out and walked alongside me during their own writing journeys. I hardly know these people in their real lives. But I can't tell you how much they mean to me. They've prayed, brainstormed, critiqued, shared chocolate, gave fashion advice, answered random story-related questions, uplifted, bemoaned the process, and just been there for another writer, not expecting anything in return.

Is this just a writer thing? Or do other groups find these amazing connections as well? You scrapbookers, speak up. Does discussing little photo corners and cropping tools (um...can you tell I don't do scrapbooking???) create bonds that could last the rest of your life?

Writer friends, I'm so grateful for you. Thank you for being a part of my life.

Now, it's your turn. Yes, even you non-writers (aka Normals). Who is an unlikely friend God has placed in your life?

No comments: